5 Ingredient Hash Brown Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a simple and tasty dish to impress your guests? Look no further than this 5 ingredient hash brown casserole recipe! This delicious and easy-to-make dish is perfect for any occasion, from a lazy weekend brunch to a family dinner. With just a handful of ingredients and minimal prep time, this dish will become a staple in your recipe collection.
- A packet of frozen shredded potatoes for hash browns measuring 30 ounces.
- One tin of condensed chicken soup measuring 10.5 ounces.
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 9×13 inch baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, condensed cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, and sour cream. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the combined mixture into a baking dish measuring 9×13 inches and distribute it uniformly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Take out the casserole from the oven and allow it to cool for a brief period before serving.
Tips for Success
- Make sure to thaw the hash browns before mixing them with the other ingredients. This will help ensure even cooking.
- You can use any type of cheese you like in this recipe, but cheddar cheese works particularly well.
- If you want to add some extra flavor, try mixing in some cooked bacon, diced ham, or chopped green onions.
- For a crispy topping, sprinkle some crushed cornflakes or bread crumbs over the casserole before baking.
- Vegetarian: Simply omit the cream of chicken soup and use cream of mushroom soup instead.
- Gluten-free: Use a gluten-free condensed soup or make your own cream of chicken soup from scratch.
- Mexican-style: Add a can of diced green chilies, a teaspoon of chili powder, and a cup of cooked and crumbled chorizo sausage to the mixture before baking.
- Italian-style: Add a teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning and a cup of cooked and crumbled Italian sausage to the mixture before baking.
This hash brown casserole makes a great side dish for any meal. Serve it alongside your favorite breakfast foods, such as eggs and bacon, or pair it with a salad or steamed vegetables for a delicious and satisfying dinner.
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare the casserole up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it. Remember to adjust the baking duration accordingly if the casserole is refrigerated before baking.
- Can I freeze this casserole?
Yes! It’s possible to freeze the casserole before or after cooking. To freeze before baking, prepare the casserole as directed but do not bake it. Seal it firmly with aluminum foil and store it in the freezer for a maximum of three months. To bake, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed. To freeze after baking, let the casserole cool completely, then wrap it tightly in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight, then bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Can I use fresh potatoes instead of frozen?
While this recipe is specifically designed to use frozen hash browns, you can certainly use fresh potatoes if you prefer. Simply shred the potatoes using a box grater or food processor, then squeeze out any excess moisture before mixing them with the other ingredients.
- Is it possible to prepare this recipe using a slow cooker?
Yes! Simply combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly. If you prefer a crispy top, transfer the casserole to a baking dish and broil for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Is it feasible to substitute the current type of condensed soup with a different one?
Yes! While cream of chicken soup is the classic choice for this recipe, you can certainly use cream of mushroom, cream of celery, or any other type of condensed soup that you prefer.
This 5 ingredient hash brown casserole is a crowd-pleasing dish that is sure to become a family favorite. With its creamy, cheesy, and comforting flavors, it’s the perfect side dish for any occasion. And the best part? This dish is remarkably simple to prepare with only a few basic ingredients. Hence, don’t hesitate to experiment with it – you won’t regret it!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.