Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole: Delicious Breakfast Idea
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you find yourself feeling fatigued by the mundane breakfast choices available to you? Do you want to switch things up and try something new and exciting? Look no further than the Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole! In this article, we’ll explore what this dish is, its benefits, how to make it, and some helpful tips to get the most out of your breakfast casserole.
Many health experts and nutritionists emphasize the significance of having a fulfilling breakfast to start your day off on the right foot. It gives us the energy we need to start our day off on the right foot. However, many of us don’t have time to make a hearty and nutritious breakfast before we head out the door. This is where the Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole comes in handy. It’s a delicious and filling breakfast dish that can be made ahead of time, making it the perfect breakfast option for busy mornings.
What is a Breakfast Burrito Casserole?
A breakfast burrito casserole is a dish made with tortillas, eggs, meat, cheese, and other ingredients that are layered and baked in a casserole dish. It’s essentially a deconstructed breakfast burrito that can be made in large quantities and served to a crowd. The Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole is a twist on this classic dish that includes hash browns and diced green chilies for added flavor and texture.
Benefits of a Breakfast Burrito Casserole
There are many benefits to making a breakfast burrito casserole. Firstly, it’s a great way to use up leftovers. You can use any leftover meat, vegetables, or cheese you have on hand to make this dish. Secondly, it’s a make-ahead meal that can be prepared the night before and baked in the morning. The breakfast burrito casserole is an ideal choice for hectic mornings due to its quick and convenient preparation. Lastly, it’s a crowd-pleaser. It’s a dish that everyone will love and can be easily customized to suit individual tastes.
To make the Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 package of frozen hash browns
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Set the oven to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) in advance.
- In a large skillet, cook breakfast sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly. Add onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper, and sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add the can of diced green chilies and frozen hash browns and cook until the hash browns are browned and crispy.
- Using a sizable mixing bowl, blend eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together with a whisk until fully combined.
- Cut tortillas into small strips and layer the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking dish with half of the tortilla strips.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the tortillas, followed by half of the sausage mixture and half of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining tortilla strips, egg mixture, sausage mixture, and shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mixture and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow the breakfast burrito casserole to cool for a brief period before serving it.
Tips for Making the Perfect Breakfast Burrito Casserole
- For optimal taste, utilize a high-quality breakfast sausage.
- Add any vegetables or cheese you have on hand to customize the casserole to your liking.
- If you want to make the casserole even more filling, add some black beans or refried beans to the layers.
- Make sure the tortilla strips are evenly layered so that every bite has some tortilla in it.
- If you’re short on time in the morning, you can make the casserole ahead of time and reheat individual portions in the microwave.
How to Store and Reheat Breakfast Burrito Casserole
In the event of leftovers, ensure to place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for a maximum of four days. To reheat, microwave individual portions for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Variations of Breakfast Burrito Casserole
The Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole is just one variation of this popular breakfast dish. Consider experimenting with the following alternate versions:
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Casserole: Replace the sausage with black beans or tofu and omit the cheese or use a dairy-free cheese alternative.
- Southwest Breakfast Burrito Casserole: Add some corn, black beans, and salsa to the layers for a southwestern twist.
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Burrito Casserole: Use cooked bacon instead of sausage and add some diced tomatoes to the layers.
The Pioneer Woman Breakfast Burrito Casserole is a delicious and hearty breakfast dish that can be customized to suit individual tastes. It’s perfect for busy mornings when you need something quick and filling to get you through the day. With a few simple ingredients and some helpful tips, you can make the perfect breakfast burrito casserole every time.
- Can I freeze the breakfast burrito casserole?
Freezing the breakfast burrito casserole is indeed an option prior to baking it. Just cover it tightly with foil and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake it, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and then bake as directed.
- Can corn tortillas be used instead of flour tortillas?
Certainly, corn tortillas can be utilized if desired. Just make sure to use the small ones and cut them into small strips.
- Can I add more eggs to the casserole?
Yes, you can add more eggs if you want a firmer casserole. It is essential to modify the amount of milk and seasoning accordingly to suit the use of corn tortillas.
- Can I make the casserole in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make the casserole in a slow cooker. Just layer the ingredients as directed and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the eggs are set.
- Can I use a different type of cheese?
Certainly, you have the option to use any variety of cheese that you prefer. Pepper jack or feta would both be delicious options.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.